Thursday, February 16, 2023

old advice

 “When another blames you or hates you, or people voice similar criticisms, go to their souls, penetrate inside and see what sort of people they are. You will realize that there is no need to be racked with anxiety that they should hold any particular opinion about you.”

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

My old friend Marcus had a way of saying things. I'm amused because it is the same thing, I have heard my mother tell me. I'm not certain if mom ever read meditations but I'm thinking it is unlikely. Ah but the wisdom of the ages has been passed down in many ways. I think of it this way, there is little than can be said that hasn't been said before. Marcus is telling you to dismiss what the others are saying about you, they are not on your level. Mom would say, you're better than that. It isn't that you are a better person, but rather you treat others better than they deserve. Their opinion of you is not important in the big scheme of things, your actions are.
There are times when you are disappointed. It happens when you discover someone isn't who they portray themselves to be. When you see the true person, penetrate the facade they have erected, and see their soul, and it turns dark. It isn't anger at being deceived, it is disappointment. That may be followed with pity. I've experienced this several times in my lifetime and it always leaves me a bit sad. I admit I'm sadder for my loss than I am for the person that deceived me. The longer the deception lasted the deeper the sorrow. As Marcus advised there is no need to be racked with anxiety. I've got that part down pat! I feel zero anxiety about any of that.
I'm never disappointed when someone disagrees with me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm disappointed when we can't agree on the facts. Facts and opinions are really quite different. Opinions based on facts become the truth. An occurrence that is sometimes quite uncomfortable. Facts based on an opinion are not facts, nor will they ever become fact. They remain simply, an opinion. The truth is often not what we want to hear or believe. Doesn't matter, the truth remains. Winston Churchill said, "there is no such thing as public opinion, there is only published opinion." I think he hit the nail on the head with that one. Never in the history of the world has that been more widespread than today. This information highway is bringing that to the masses. It has taken it to another level entirely but today you don't even have to read! Just turn on that computer and the spoken word is out there.
Each new medium of spreading information has ended up perverting its' purpose. Now the government itself is growing concerned with misinformation. What sort of term is that anyway? Seems a bit ambiguous to me. It doesn't mean the information is wrong just that it isn't the information the government would rather you didn't hear. And who exactly is the arbiter of the truth? Is that the function of government? You would you elect to decide upon the truth?
The founding fathers were all too aware of that, that it was government that would ultimately rule on the truth. Remember they also knew that the people is the government! Yes, we the people are the government. So, what qualities do we the people need to govern? The primary quality is virtue. Madison knew that; Jefferson and Adams knew it also. It is virtue in the people that will make the country strong. George Washington in his farewell address said these words: “It is substantially true that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government. The rule, indeed, extends with more or less force to every species of free government. Who that is a sincere friend to it can look with indifference upon attempts to shake the foundation of the fabric?” I'd suggest that is what Marcus Aurelius was thinking about when he said look into their souls. To see what sort of people they are. Are they virtuous and moral? If not, do not be concerned with their opinion of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment