Friday, February 17, 2023

comeuppance

 Yesterday I saw a flower in bloom and took a picture of it with my phone. That's pretty modern don't you think? I mean I didn't even have to think about it just pulled my phone out, and using my fingers to zoom in, the snapshot was taken. Being synced to my computer it was automatically available when I went online. Anxious to share this little bit of sunshine with my Facebook friends I posted that picture to my wall. Problem was, I misidentified the flower. Yup, called it a crocus when in fact it was a daffodil. I was corrected almost immediately. That wasn't so bad, but my wife has to rub it in saying, you were wrong, now admit to it! So, I did post a sentence or two on that post admitting to my error. I admit to googling for further clarification on the topic. Turns out a crocus and a daffodil are in the "genus" in the scientific world. So, I did explain to my wife that although we were talking about a Ford and Chevy, they were both in the automotive group, so technically I wasn't wrong. That explanation didn't fly, as the saying goes, and I had to admit once again, I was wrong.
 Later on, I felt like a politician. I was searching for a way to be right, to justify my answer, even though I know the answer is the wrong one. It just comes down to being told, you're wrong. The desire to somehow be right is a strong one. It's something we all attempt to do. In my defense it was a flower! I wasn't wrong about that. In the comments that followed my misidentifying that particular genus of flower, narcissus to be scientifically correct, someone said they are also called Johnny jump-ups. I hadn't heard that term in many years. Funny how that is. Somewhere in my memory I have heard those flowers called jump ups. I did enjoy reading all the comments left on that post. In fact, I wish there were more posts like that. It was, all in all, a pleasant interaction among people. Perhaps it was because there was a clear point, a definite line, between what was right and wrong. I was wrong and everyone was scrambling to correct my mistake. It's great to know that my "peeps" have my back. From now on I will remember what a daffodil looks like as compared to a crocus. 
 In retrospect I wish I had just posted a picture of a spring onion. I definitely know one of those when I see it. I remember teaching my granddaughter about them. I showed her how to pull them up and the onion bulb attached to the stem. I told her how you could eat them and use them for seasoning a stew or make a soup with them. Or I could have posted a picture of a dandelion. I know those as well. I had a pet rabbit that loved to eat those things, the grandkids would pick them for him. I also can identify a Lady Slipper in the wild, Cypripedium Reginae, as I picked those for my mother back in the day. I only saw pink ones but have read they come in various colors. But I didn't. I posted a picture of a daffodil and called it a crocus. I can't blame it on old age, an excuse I sometimes use, I was simply wrong. Thing is, I had convinced myself that it was a crocus. Somewhere along the line I had received misinformation! Thankfully the government is now taking steps to eliminate that from happening. In the meantime, it's good to know I can trust my friends to correct me. I'll try to do the same should you require that service. I've got your back. Thanks guys. You could say I got my due comeuppance. Get it? comeuppance. 
 

1 comment:

  1. As a matter of fact, you are mistaken again in that a 'Johnnie Jump Up' is in the viola family of flowering plants and is akin to Pansies.

    ReplyDelete