Tuesday, June 7, 2022

nothing personal

 Wonder why we are seeing such an increase in shootings, crimes and general unrest? Well, it's because, it's nothing personal. We are being programmed to be detached from reality, to not take things personally, to be devoid of actual feelings. Of course, this is being accomplished with an overload of emotions. That's why all the empathy, inclusion, the live and let live. The absence of any accountability for our personal actions frees us to act however we feel. The result, it's nothing personal.
 As each generation has become increasingly disconnected from each other and society in general, they have become impersonal, cold, and uncaring. The center of their attention? Themselves, their wants and their feelings. Yes, it is being sold as "progressive" this notion that anything goes when that is what you want. It must be tolerated and allowed. In fact, we shouldn't even discuss that stuff! No, a quiet acceptance is all that is allowed, barring a trumpeting of total agreement! The latter being the only approved response. The only rule being, change the rule anytime you like. 
 Recently I noticed how Facebook added pre-selected responses I can choose from when responding to a comment. In that fashion I don't have to actually think about the response, actually acknowledge the person, just click a box and Facebook does that for me. It's nothing personal. Predictive text is also widely used. Just type a letter or two and let the "artificial" intelligence fill in the blanks. All of that is insidious in nature if you really think about it. Personally, I began, some time back posting a Good Morning on my Facebook page. It being a social media platform I just figured I should be sociable. I am pleased to say that over time I now have a group of friends that respond to that greeting every day. It makes me feel more like I'm in a community. I do try to answer each one with a mention of their name. To respond individually, on a personal basis. I have learned some personal things about each one. Some of these folks I have known for years, others I had a casual acquaintance with, and still others that were complete strangers. 
 When someone commits horrendous acts of violence against others it is nothing personal. If it were a single individual would be targeted. That's not what we are seeing. It's only personal to the person performing the act! And that is because they have become disconnected from society in general. Oh I'm sure some social worker or head doctor has a long explanation for all of that. Having spent at least eight years obtaining their degrees they do feel qualified to explain the human psyche. I'm just an old guy that thinks a lot. I've been around a while. Always one to join in the conversation, I've heard it all. The majority of time folks like to go with the flow, whatever the crowd thinks, and not ruffle any feathers. It's the everyone is doing it syndrome. That's what I call it anyway.
 The big issue I see with all this social media, Tic-Tok, Instagram, tweeting or whatever is the ability to find like minded people. No matter how warped your idea is, there is someone supporting that. It's easy to just retreat into that world. In that world I can say or do whatever I like without any opposition. This has grown into a scenario where normal isn't defined anymore, you are not supposed to define normal, In that way there can be no abnormal. The evidence of that is everywhere! The result being, no social conscience. It's nothing personal. 
 The most recent thing I heard from one of our elected officials, not sure which one , was that these mass shootings were not done because of mental illness. No, his theory is, they planned out the attack, purchased the weapons ahead of time, therefore, they couldn't be insane. Insane people only act impulsively! It isn't mental illness at all, it's because they can buy a gun. In my world, if you are buying a gun to commit mass murder, you're insane! But, I'm not supposed to suggest any such thing. 
 I often leave comments that go against the grain. I do not avoid reading the things I don't agree with. It's been my experience that simply agreeing with others isn't much of a conversation. It can make you more popular, that's a fact, but it gets awful boring. There does come a time when it's best to just drop the conversation altogether, when no common ground is available. I do believe in "standing your ground" and not capitulating every time I am challenged. It's nothing personal the majority of the time. Very difficult to be personal on the internet in my opinion. When the majority of your time is spent in impersonal pursuits, it all becomes, nothing personal!  I will however, one day, be the center of attention and obtain that personal satisfaction I so desire. It's nothing personal.    

No comments:

Post a Comment