Sunday, June 5, 2022

legislating government

 Just bcause I don't agree with you, doesn't mean you're wrong. But, give me some time and I'll explain why you want to change your mind. That was a thought I had while visitng with some in-laws. It can be a tedious situation. When you are on the opposite end of the spectrum it's tough to find middle ground. Fortunately family ties and a degree of maturity temper the situation. I am begining to understand a bit more how family feuds can begin! But, like I said, just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean you're wrong. It does indicate that I am right however.
 Now in my latest encounter I have discovered what we are in opposition to what is the function of government. I believe the role of government is to govern, whereas others figure the role of government is to rule. The distinction between the two is lost on some. Yes, the rule is great when it works in your favor, but this is a majority rule. A constitutional Republic, not a simple democracy. The goal is to operate independently from governmment intervention. Government moderates what actions I may take in accomplishing that goal.  
 Now, I don't think they are aware of this dependnce as they also like to label it with different names. Social justice, equity and inclusion being possibly the top three. The idea that the minority should rule the majority. That's where the waters are getting muddied. When less than three percent of the population begin to dictate what the other ninety seven percent should feel, do, or say. Currently roughly fourteen per cent of the population is driving the narrative. The majority is being surpressed and intimidated by the minority! The role of government is not to bail me out, provide an advantage and forgiveness. Government is business, not a charity.
 While away from home you are exposed to new things. That, in itself, is a good thing. A fresh perspective. It can also be an eye opener. Unfamiliar with the television programming and guide I wound up watching CNN news. That's a wake up call! How any news outlet got that far out there I'll never understand. No, yes I do, it's money. Only possible explanation. I realize I live in a small town sheltered from a lot of the goings on in the big city, but I didn't realize it was that bad. I did some people watching and didn't like much of what I was seeing. Yes, I know, that's a broad brush to paint with, but my impression is, we're in big trouble. 
 I think it is official. I have arrived in a new world, different from the one I was raised in. I'm not sure where it all went off the track. We were headed in the right direction, insistituing social changes and removing barriers. Opportunity abounded! But somewhere along the way oportunity became, not enough. We went from "just give me a chance" to "just give me!" The reason you should do that is rooted in human history! It doesn't matter if I was wronged yesterday, or I possibly have a far distant ancestor that was wronged, I should benefit from that today! In fact, it's only fair. Seems to me the concern today is entitlement, more than opportunity. And that's because opportunity shouldn't be equal! Some are entitled to far more opportunity than others! And that is the change in this world. I was raised to seek opportunity, not entitlement. When the opportunity presented itself, you were expected to work hard to take advantage of the opportunity. Today the objective is simply, take advantage. Give me. Forgive me. Give me again. It's not my fault. The government should take care of me! 
   
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment