Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Which Ben

 So yesterday it was reported that someone was trying to be me. Hmm, should I be flattered? No, someone is using my identity to try to sell something to others. I'm not certain how all that works but I changed my password. I've been hacked in the past, my information compromised for what I can only assume are nefarious purposes. I can understand why that happens, there are those that are thieves with no regard for anyone else. I do think this is the first time anyone posed as me. My first reaction was, why would someone want to do that? Then I thought, I don't blame them, if I were someone else I'd want to be me too. Well, unless the other Ben was younger and extremely wealthy, in that case I just might give it a try.
 This cyber world that we inhabit can be a confusing place. I rarely look at profile pages as I place little trust in what I read there. I've never looked at any of those dating sites but hear the pictures and people don't always match up. I've also heard that some folks, shall we say enhance, their personal information a bit. I'm certain that happens on Facebook as well. It's amazing how many experts you find on there. Something comes on the news, you make a comment, and three people with PhD's in that particular field respond almost immediately! I knew a fellow in the Navy that was like that. Whatever you had done, would do, or wish you had done, he had already done that. We called him Hero Hill. His last name was Hill. He certainly told of heroic events in his life. Well, some feel the need to exaggerate just a bit hoping to impress. I'm thinking that whoever is trying to use my identity hasn't read my profile page. There is nothing there I'm ashamed of but, it isn't a profile that would afford you much status. What you will find there is the truth. Even the picture is really me, and what's more, fairly recent. Well except for a while I was using a picture of a seagull. That was a sort of homage to my Dad. That's because when I was a teenager and he wasn't pleased with what I was doing, or not doing, he would say, " you're like a seagull, all you do is eat, *hit, and squawk! I have to agree that I do squawk a lot, although I prefer to think of it as informing others. Apparently I got someone's attention.
 This report came from Facebook and assured me they would look into it, checking fake Ben for appropriate use. I was informed they would " take me down " if I violated any of their policies. I'm just wondering how they will know which Ben is which? If it looks like a Ben, acts like a Ben, it could be a Ben! I don't remember having to provide answers to questions only I would know. We all have our secrets. Like I said, all very confusing. Now I'm hoping they don't take down the real Ben, don't take me out Zuckerberg. I haven't been placed in Facebook jail at any time, guess I've eluded that. Well all I can do is tell everyone I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, although everyone is free to give me money if they want to. Hey, it's the only gracious thing to do, right? Wouldn't want to offend anyone. I wonder too, if this fake Ben is wandering around the dark web. I've heard of that mysterious world populated with some pretty seedy characters. We all want to go places we are told are off limits. Isn't that why the girls are drawn to the " bad boys? "  Yeah, you can find me on the dark web, as I roll that pack of cigarettes in the sleeve of my tee shirt. I'm like a shadow, dark, quiet, and can disappear in an instant. Who is fake ben? I'll never know. Don't really care as long as he goes away. The big question is; which Ben? 

No comments:

Post a Comment