Friday, June 5, 2020

where confusion begins

 There are things we start doing at a certain age, that age varies with everyone, that are signs of maturity. Strangely these signs of maturity are often labeled by others as just getting old. Things like not opening another box of cereal until the one is empty. Better use this up first, wouldn't want it to go stale. Or you might start breaking down those boxes before putting them in the trash can, they take up less room that way. Some years back I began saying no to another beer! Today I rarely ever drink a beer. There are all sorts of things like that. The little things that we start doing that we once just blew off. I don't leave trash in the car anymore, those wrappers or whatever go into the trash can when I get home. There are times when I clean out the car and put the trash in the can at Walmart! Well, you know I'm going to walk right past it anyway. And when I'm in the store shopping I'll put things back where I found them. Yes, I fold the clothes back up and put them back neatly. I will walk three aisles away to put something back when I change my mind. And yes, the shopping cart goes into the cart corral! Maturity? Or is it early onset dementia?  I call it being responsible. Assuming responsibility  is something I was often cajoled about in my youth, today I get looks for that. It is funny how that happens.
 We start planning ahead. That's weird as we know we have less time ahead than we used to. Then again maybe that's why we start planning ahead, to take advantage of every minute . It's like taking that trash out of the car at Walmart, gonna pass that trash can. It's sorta like when your Mom told you to always wear clean underwear, you know, in case you are in an accident. It's best to think and plan ahead. I find myself doing that when going out. Is there anyplace else I need to go? What route should I take? If I go this why the store is on the right side of the road. What's the right side? The one where you can just make a right turn into it! You know what I'm talking about. It's an annoyance when were you want to go is on the other side of the road. And parallel parking? That ain't happening. Oh I can do it alright, at least I could when my neck and body turned that far. Now I would need an adjustment afterwards. Thinking of driving I now clean the car completely of snow or ice, not settling for a hole big enough to peek out of. Yes I even clean off the plates so the police can see them. Now that's responsible.
 Something I've noticed in recent years are people assuming responsibility for what others are doing or not doing. They are taking on that burden. I've noticed they aren't really doing anything about it though, just complaining about it. They have begun telling me I should be doing it, for them. That's correct I should assume responsibility for what they are failing to do. It's like the whole face mask thing. I'm not supposed to do that for me, I'm doing that for you. That's being responsible. Either one of us could be being irresponsible by going out in public while infected! So instead of demanding responsibility from the one that is infected, the burden falls to the one that isn't. See how that works? Of course the narrative being, you don't know if you are infected or not. In that way no one is really responsible. Like asking the one child in the room who ate that candy. the response will be, it wasn't me. I don't know.
 You know I'm thinking it isn't maturity or responsibility, or even early onset dementia. I'm thinking it is wisdom. We have learned that it's all in the details. That's the reason we plan ahead, take the time to put things away, and clean up. It's also the reason we feel an obligation to share that wisdom with others. The time is running short and others, others have a lot to learn. Isn't that the way we feel about that? Why I remember when, and the wisdom just comes flowing out. You can't help it, you are so full of it, it just spills out. And that, that is where the confusion begins.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment