Thursday, August 23, 2018

it's policy

 I heard on the news that Jimmy Smith. cornerback for the Baltimore Ravens has been suspended for four games. The suspension came as a result of his conduct toward his ex-girlfriend and mother of his son. He was found to have been emotionally abusive and threatening. There are no formal charges filed by law enforcement for any of this. No, this conduct is in violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy. Yes, the NFL that bastion of moral and ethical conduct has applied punishment for this behavior. In addition to the suspension he has been ordered into therapy and counseling. Jimmy Smith has assured the NFL he has seen the error of his ways and is committed to change. Well, isn't that all very nice. This guy is thirty years old and I guess just needs some guidance on how to act.
 Now I couldn't care less about Jimmy Smith or the Baltimore Ravens. I just wonder why the NFL thinks " taking a knee " is just fine in their " personal conduct policy. " Disrespecting the National ensign, our veterans, and indeed the country in general is just fine for personal conduct! Threatening your ex and the mother of your son gets you suspended and sent to counseling but " emotionally abusing " the sensibilities of millions of Americans does not? Look, I'm not justifying anything Jimmy Smith said, or threatened to do in regard to his ex. They were having a battle regarding custody and support issues. Those discussions tend to get a bit heated. I seriously doubt that the abuse went just one direction. That doesn't excuse it however. Bottom line for me is he got suspended and ordered into counseling. That's all well and good. I wouldn't have an issue with that if he got fired completely.
 Other than the fact the NFL seems to be just fine with all this taking a knee as long as it doesn't impact ticket sales I wouldn't care at all. What I do take issue with is this " ordered into counseling " thing. Does anyone really believe you can just order someone to change? I think its ridiculous and nothing more than a feel good gesture. I feel that way when the courts do it also. If anyone thinks that I can just order you into therapy and you will be cured they are crazier than I am. Jimmy Smith says he has seen the error of his ways and is committed to change. Yeah, exactly what I would say if I was suspended for four games and threatened with being fired altogether. What did you expect him to say? Oh but we have to say and order the obvious these days to show how progressive and aware we are. We be woke! I'm glad they stopped saying that particular phrase every two minutes, it's irritating.
 Am I alone in seeing the hypocrisy in this? The NFL has a personal conduct policy that must be adhered to. Well that's a good thing and any employer has that right in my thinking. If you don't want to abide by those rules, don't sign the contract. But the NFL says they can't suppress those players right to disrespect the National Anthem, that's not part of the personal conduct policy. Of course when T-Bow was kneeling on the sidelines and in the end zone that wasn't acceptable, the NFL was quite vocal in their disapproval. When the Dallas Cowboys wanted to wear a patch or sticker in support of the Police, that wasn't allowed. And now the NFL is referencing this Personal Conduct Policy as the reason for Jimmy Smith punishment. Remember there are no formal charges from law enforcement authorities. If the NFL can say, taking a knee isn't against the law as justification for those players doing that, should Jimmy Smith be able to say, I haven't been charged with any crime! Seems to me it's a two way street. Just my opinion though. But I did learn how to solve the drug addition problems in this country, order them into therapy and counseling, that'll fix the problem. They will all be changed people, well, unless they relapse that is. And remember a relapse is never the fault of the therapist or treatment, that's on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment