Thursday, August 9, 2018

Deviating

 It was in the news. I guess it is an important story. We are about to have our very first gay super hero! A lesbian to boot, because well, anything else might be sexist. Now I admit to not listening closely or really paying much attention to this big " news. " For that reason I can't provide any details about who or what. All I heard was that there is going to be a gay super hero to finally represent the LGBTQ community. Well, because the world needs a gay superhero. I'm wondering just how this " gayness " plays into the plot of the story. I mean, what has that got to do with being a super hero? I'm not much of a geek when it comes to this stuff, I kinda lost interest in Superman and other imaginary characters when I turned 12, but to each their own. I don't recall their sexual preferences every having entered the picture. Well okay Cat woman did try to tempt Batman but we all knew that Barman has the highest moral and ethical values and so would not succumb to such evil and vile tactics! And wasn't that the point of these super heroes in the first place? Superman represented Truth, Justice and the American way! Yes there are some very bad people out there, and it takes some very good people to defeat them. That was the job of a super hero.
 Of course I view this from a different perspective. I see these movies as bits of fantasy to be enjoyed , generally speaking, by children. Yes I know there is comi-con and all that stuff. I know millions of dollars are spent each year by adults on this stuff. I understand that adults can enjoy these films, comics and cartoons. The super heroes I grew up with were models of doing what was right. My heroes were examples to emulate. Of course I did know better than to try to jump tall buildings in a single bound, or attempt to stop speeding bullets with my bare hand without being told about the dangers in that. Hey, my super heroes wore their underwear on the outside and I never questioned that. I also never questioned their sexual preferences because it just didn't matter. The guys like girls, and girls liked guys. The way it is in the real world, for the most part. It's been that way since the beginning. If it was anything different, I didn't need to know that. That's because it is your business.     Yes, being gay is an aberration. It isn't the norm. And that is just the truth of the matter. I don't care if you like it or not, it is the truth. Doesn't mean I hate you, doesn't mean I'm " afraid " , all it means is it is outside of the expected, varying from the norm. In fact, in biology, and that is what we are talking about here, biological functions, an aberration is defined as, a characteristic that deviates from the normal type. Is this " gayness " some kind of superpower now? That's the part I question. Why introduce that into the story at all. The reason is we want to present gay people as the norm, when in fact they are not. That's the bottom line no matter how you try to spin the story. The funny part to me is superheroes aren't real people! So I can't help but chuckle just a bit. I'm betting this gay hero will be well dressed and " fierce. " You go girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment