Friday, August 17, 2018

Alien life

 They say you can become alienated from members of society. That's a polite way of saying, they really don't like you. I can live with that. The longer you expose yourself to others the greater the chances get that it will happen. We are all aliens living in our own worlds, to a degree. You could call them neighborhoods, communities, towns, states or even countries. Thing is, we are all aliens and we all have encounters. How genuine we are in those encounters is the deciding factor. Just how alien are we?
 I participated in a small experiment on face book. I usually don't pay any attention to such things but this one intrigued me. Supposedly Facebook is using some algorithm to determine what posts and from whom I see on my timeline. I thought, why not give it a shot. I must say I can't see where that it made any difference at all. I see where others say they had different results. Interesting. My attention was once again drawn to this by the birthday notification banner. It wasn't showing some of my " friends " birthdays but did show others. Then I gave it some more thought and there are people I used to interact with that no longer show up on my timeline. To the best of my knowledge we are still " friends " as I haven't blocked anyone in any of these settings. Maybe they blocked me! I wouldn't know if they did as I pay no attention to any of that nonsense. If I don't want to read what you wrote, I don't read it. I know, it's a low tech approach, but effective. I also don't respond to those I don't want to respond to, another low tech approach but works every time.
 I have to say it is an amazing thing the number of friends that wind up on your friend list. I have far more than I would have ever guessed. My friends list is actually quite small compared to others than I have seen. I do differentiate between friend and acquaintances. Facebook makes no such distinction, but I do. An acquaintance may become a friend, but once a friend you can never become just an acquaintance again. I don't think aliens become friends. I also question whether aliens would be friendly. I mean, if they are smart enough to get here, what would we have to offer them? People generally conquer those that are weaker, and try to be friends with those that are stronger. But then that's human nature, who knows what aliens are thinking?
 It is that alien thinking that causes all the friction though. When thoughts and beliefs don't align, chaos ensues. It is what begins fights. I will defend what I believe to be right. The opposition will always proclaim they are right, and you are wrong for not changing your thinking. That's just the way it works. When we are at odds with one another we are alienated! I have discovered that are far more aliens right here on earth than any I anticipate coming from outer space. There are aliens all around!
I left my world when I was just 18 years old. The search for intelligent life continues. It's out there, somewhere. Isn't that what we say we are doing when looking for alien lifeforms? Why do we think that? We just might find a whole world of idiots. Of course, we wouldn't need to travel in space to find that, California is a good start.   

No comments:

Post a Comment