Sunday, August 12, 2018

deciding

 My normal routine is to sit at this keyboard and write my thoughts each morning. It has become somewhat of a habit. My sister tells me she has been " journaling " for many years. She is the only one that reads those journals, and when they become filled she tells me she just throws them out. She  writes solely for herself. I admire that dedication, dedication to self. When I began this " blogging " a different enterprise than a  journal I think, I intended to share them with the world. Fact is I figured a few of my friends and perhaps old acquaintances may browse them. I was taken with the notion that a complete unknown could share with the world in such a way, I still think it is pretty cool.
 I didn't really know what I was going to write about. I had the idea that a blog was supposed to cover a single subject. I figured I would just write my thoughts and stories. Didn't take long to figure out I just don't have that many stories. At least I don't have that many interesting stories or the ability to make the mundane ones exciting reading. Soon I began to include my philosophical meanderings. I didn't realize I even had them until I started writing them down! I also discovered a bit more about my personal religious feelings and contemplating those. I have continued in those veins for about 8 years now. I believe if one were to read all my blogs you would gain an understanding of who I am. I have discovered that can be problematic! Sometimes I tell too much. But then I chuckle at that thought. If I can't be honest with my " readers " what is the point? I remind myself I am writing for myself,  more so than others. It would be a different scenario were I doing this for profit. In that case I would feel completely justified in writing whatever I feel people want to read. Then I would be writing for popularity or profit. It isn't that I wouldn't want either one, its' just that isn't my intent. The action is somewhat like what my sister does in her journaling, the writing is therapeutic. The subtle difference is I'm sharing that therapy with anyone that chooses to read it. It may or may not apply to them! I often laugh to myself when I receive negative comments regarding this. I can't help but think, if that person were paying a therapist a hundred dollars an hour they would be far more receptive!
 I say that based on experience. In-between my stints in the Navy I upholstered furniture for a living. Part of that job was to install curtains and blinds in the customers homes. I had no formal training, or even practical experience in home decorating. Still, many times while I was installing those items or just delivering the furniture I had reupholstered I was asked decorating advice. I always found that amusing and always gave those folks an answer. Many times they accepted that " answer " as a fact and arranged their furniture accordingly. I would be asked for my opinion or advice. Why? I can only assume they also assumed I knew what I was talking about. I did not. But, that is why I say what I do. If you are paying for it you do make assumptions. If it is free, you are far more skeptical. In my opinion that's why we came up with the whole concept of diplomas and degrees. I am too smart, see I got a paper that says so. This here is my " bona fides. " That comes from the Latin and literally means " good faith. " When I worked at the grocery store I was often asked advice about buying cuts of meat or how to tell if a certain vegetable or fruit was ripe. I'm not a butcher or a chef, but I was asked anyway. Why? Folks assume you know:  any port in a storm is the thinking.
 When it comes to philosophy, religion and personal stories each port is distinct. We each have our own. We are often hesitant to enter another. For that reason I don't expect folks to drop anchor in mine. I also hope they don't attack it. When I write these short snippets they are meant to offer my opinion. I am somewhat amazed when folks find out that I will defend that opinion. Some become incredulous. What do you mean you won't change your opinion? Didn't you just hear mine? Yes, I did and I'm asking the same question of you.
 I've only had one occasion to speak with a mental health professional. Before you can be assigned as a Navy recruiter you are required to talk to the head doctor. I had this interview with him and he asked a series of questions. He showed me ink blots and stuff. We had a short discussion. In the end he asked me if I had any questions for him. I did. I asked him who decides on his mental health? I thought it a valid question, as I felt comfortable enough with the man. He seemed a bit offended and assured me his " peers " performed that function. I politely thanked him for his time and went on about my day. I got the job. My take away from that experience? His opinion counts because of a piece of paper. I wonder what school he went to and what he was taught was right? I mean, just what do those ink blots prove? What did I see in them? I don't remember, but I think a butterfly and a spider was in there somewhere. I'm thinking it is all a matter of opinion.
 The thing is, my whole thought this morning is, if we can't share and discuss our opinions what can we do? I'm one that believes in black and white, right and wrong. You do have to decide. You can't just sit on the fence agreeing with both sides all day. You can't compromise on every issue. At some point you do have to get down off the fence and walk through the meadow. Sometimes you step in it and sometimes you don't.
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment