Wednesday, January 10, 2024

sign of the times

  If you use Facebook, I'm certain you have seen the meme about teaching cursive in schools again. I saw it again yesterday and quipped, but who is going to teach the teacher? Not unexpectedly I got a comment back with someone asking, teach them what. I explained I was talking about cursive writing, that was the subject of the meme, and that we should remember some schoolteachers may only be twenty-four years old. It's quite possible many of them were never taught that skill. I remember being graded on penmanship while in grade school but nothing being mentioned about that in junior high or high school. In fact, typing my assignments was encouraged. As a result, my cursive writing skill is somewhat lacking today.
 My reply was met with derision. I was informed that cursive writing was a tool no longer needed in the toolbox. Additionally, being graded on penmanship was just ridiculous. This person informing me he remembered that from the 1980's and his sixteen-year-old never had to write in cursive. I agreed that not many use cursive anymore as everything is usually printed in some fashion. Even when we electronically sign documents on those card reader things any scribble will do. I fail to see any point in that other than an acknowledgement that you saw it. Only us older folks actually attempt to place a readable signature on those anyway.
 Although I didn't think about it at the time we were graded in penmanship for a very good reason. It wasn't about my ability to form pretty letters, develop a flowing style that made everything look like a historic document. The reason was, so others could read what I had written. Back then, in the dark time before personal computers, personal printers and artificial intelligence with spell checkers, signing a document using block printing was frowned upon. Yes, you would be judged on that. It seemed to me the girls always had the best handwriting, but they were supposed to be pretty, not smart. Yes, it was a long time ago in the offensive years. 
 The other thing about cursive writing is that it is a personal thing. That's the way I think about that. Whenever I get a handwritten note, card or letter that has been handwritten it does feel more personal. I realize it took the other person some time and effort to write. Typewritten letters always just seem so formal, so cold and unattached. I understand it is much faster, easier and can be read easily, all good attributes, just not very personal. Block printing from a child is nice, cute even, and it is what I expect from a child. I don't expect that from an adult, however. 
 I did start writing some of these blogs in a journal, in cursive. My thought being it would be more personal later on to my grandkids and beyond. I soon remembered just how laborious a task that is. I haven't done that in a while but may resume one day. My penmanship is sorely lacking, and I question if anyone else could decipher what I have written. My mother could read my handwriting and my fathers too. I think she may have been a secret agent of the government though, a code breaker. I've heard that some schools still teach cursive writing. I hate to admit it, but I guess it really is a skill that isn't necessary anymore. Perhaps it will become a hobby not unlike calligraphy. Cursive and calligraphy are different disciplines. It's like I can play the guitar but not like Eric Clapton can play guitar. 
 I do wonder if you have never been taught cursive, how do you sign your name?  Well, it turns out there is an app for that. You can create your own e-signature for free. You don't have to know how to write in cursive, just type in your name and choose your font. Want it to look like John Hancock signing the declaration, no problem. It doesn't do a thing for you when presented with a sheet of paper or a document at the bank. I guess then you just scribble whatever or print your name. Not that many use them these days but a personal check that was signed using block printing would not be a valid instrument. You still need to know how to actually sign your name. OMG how 20th century.           

No comments:

Post a Comment