Friday, January 12, 2024

it's funny

  I'll start by saying I didn't watch the golden globes, not even sure what awards they are giving themselves with that show, but it has something to do with Hollywood. But I did see where the host, some guy named Joy Koy, never heard of him, made a joke about Taylor Swift and being at Chiefs football games. I did hear it somewhere and it wasn't all that funny. It did get a little chuckle from me though. But now I'm seeing where there is apparently a big hub-bub about it from the woke crowd. I guess they will be canceling Joy Koy. As I said, I don't know a thing about him and very little about Taylor Swift. I did read where Taylor Swift didn't get an award, but Barbie did. Taylor was beat out by a 65-year-old fictional character. I imagine she will write a song about that.
 I just read where this Joy Koy is defending himself by saying it was just a joke, not a very funny one, but just a joke and people should get over it. I have to say I agree with him on that. It seems like we are losing our ability to just laugh at ourselves and others without getting our drawers in a knot. Mr. Magoo, the visually challenged character provided hours of entertainment because he couldn't see well. That's the joke! The three stooges were idiots! That is what is funny about them. Fat Albert was fat! Charlie Chang and his number one son, hilarious stuff. I'm so old I remember when seeing "stereotypes" was usually just for fun. In fact, those "stereotypes" did more to bring people together than any of this inclusive crap today. Lots of actors made a living off of being a stereotypical character. Remember the commercial with the "Indian" crying over pollution. That was an Italian actor playing a part. It was nothing more than cultural appropriation and stereotyping! 
  Learning to laugh at ourselves was a survival skill. Either that or we learned how to fight! There was an unwritten code of sorts concerning all of that. If there was truth in it, it might be funny. If it was just to be mean, it wasn't funny. That was when you learned if the other person was willing to fight. A well-placed punch in the nose communicated that intel! But if you had said or done something that was funny, expect to be teased about it. I didn't think of that as bullying, it was teasing, a different action altogether. Not supposed to tease anymore, we are all serious beings with feelings that may be injured. I remember scoring a basket for the other team after the half because I forget we changed ends. Yeah, I got teased a lot for that. Never made that mistake again. I also didn't require a professional counselor to get over the teasing, to feel validated and empowered. It was funny, 
  Yes, there are times when just a joke makes you uncomfortable, maybe even a bit hurt or offended. That is to be expected. What isn't reasonable is to expect everyone to be compassionate and understanding, to "lift you up" and give you their full support. That isn't going to happen. Sometimes people do those things because of their own insecurity. It's a defensive measure. There is nothing wrong with that! It's what we called developing a thick skin. Unlike today where the initial response is always, I'm a victim. Others should change their ways to suit me. I'm inclusive, but only to those that agree with everything I say. If they don't, they are judgmental people and to be avoided and canceled if possible. It's not funny. 
 Put me in spandex, wearing a helmet with rear view mirrors on it riding a bicycle. Now that's a funny sight. Put me in speedos, that something no one needs to see. Have me paint a picture, hilarious. There are any number of things that would be worthy of a comedic response I do daily. I'm well aware of that and joke away. I've heard jokes about these blogs, my writing, my poems, my mechanical skills and my dancing and singing skills. And you know what, I do all those things to entertain myself, your jokes or opinions won't change that. Sometimes it is just funny. I feel that way about some of those famous people. Sometimes the professional comics I don't find funny at all. Take Jerry Lewis as an example, not funny to me, or Rodney Dangerfield. Know what was funny? Blazing saddles, split my sides laughing. The amount of camera time Taylor Swift received at a Chiefs football game compared to camera time at the golden globes, well, a little chuckle, simply because it was true.     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment