Saturday, December 30, 2023

vocabulary

 It is something I've written about before, this use of acronyms. It has quickly become a pet peeve of mine. Have we all become so lazy that we can't just say what we mean or write the words down. Apparently, it is too much effort because I see those acronyms in every communication. You really do need to know the context of the conversation or discussion to decipher what the acronym means. That has led to some awkward conversations I can tell you that. The clarity of the message can certainly be distorted beyond recognition. 
 This is especially prevalent in text messaging. Those acronyms have basically replaced shorthand. You do remember shorthand, don't you? Many today would be totally lost if presented with a page of those scribbles. I know I certainly would be. My wife learned that method of writing and so may be able to get the gist of it. My thinking is in the future if someone discovers some digital media file, an old e-mail or conversation of some type they won't be able to figure out what the person was talking about because of all the acronyms. A great number of them have multiple meanings depending on context and just who is writing the message. It's my thinking that footnotes are going to be required for clarity, a sort of key to the cipher. I can certainly envision an attorney having a field day with all of that. Sure, that what the letters are but that isn't what they mean! Heck lawyers do that right now with portions of the Constitution! Those acronyms can only add fuel to that debate. And let's not start on the use of pronouns.
  I don't know I'm just annoyed when reading some of these things and trying to figure out what they are saying. WTH? That means what the heck doesn't it? Depends on who is saying it. BRB, LOL, LOFL, and so many others. It is fast becoming its' own language. Why did all of this begin? I think it is just a reflection of society today where everything has to be done as fast as possible and as conveniently as possibly. It also relieves you of the burden of having to know how to spell some of those words. But I suppose writing with your thumbs on a tiny keyboard does have its' limitations. Two thumbs versus eight fingers. 
  I just figure I know the English language fairly well. I'm annoyed when I have to look up some acronyms to determine what it is being written. I know how to read, and I did well in reading comprehension while in school. Given some of the conversations I have had with others online I'm beginning to wonder if that particular skill is measured anymore. If it is, a great many people failed the course! Letter writing is a lost art. Having a pen-pal used to involve using an actual pen and composing a letter. I don't believe many are doing that today. 
 Now we have "friends" on social media, answer Tic-Tok challenges and Instagram. All of those involve the use of acronyms as the primary method of conveying your thoughts. I see many comments about teaching the children today to write in cursive. I'm thinking that isn't the biggest problem, we need to teach them to write, actual words, clearly stating what it is they are saying. But today the objective is to be fast! Post something on social media that involves reading more than two lines of text, without an image or a GIF (Graphic Interchange Format). Probably won't get read. That will get scrolled past faster than the road runner avoiding the coyote. No time for reading. 
  I guess I'm just old and stuck in my ways. I learned to read and write English a long time ago. I'm comfortable in knowing the meaning of a good number of words, what we call vocabulary. At one time it was a source of pride having a large vocabulary. That is slowly changing by substituting acronyms and coarse language to make your point. Listen to your politicians and leaders today and the terms they use. Sleeves rolled up, collars open they will curse, and use "vocabulary" only heard in bars on the waterfront years ago. I rather miss the days I had to look in a dictionary at times to understand those "ten dollar" words. Today fifty cent words are about as good as it gets. Well and acronyms and abbreviations. Annoying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment