Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Pope or Politician

  Pope or politician? It would seem that Pope Francis is more the politician than the Pontif. It's the only explanation I can formulate for his latest announcement. The church blessing what the church teaches is immoral and deviant behaviors has to fall under the it's politically expedient. Now I'm not a catholic, have never been a catholic but always recognized the Pope as the leader of the Christian church. The only differences I knew about between the Catholics and the rest of the Christian was the praying to saints' part and the way they performed their services. The Catholics certainly weren't endorsing what was considered sinful in any way! That apparently has changed. It is apparent to me, it's a marketing ploy. An attempt to get more "followers" through social influence. I understand the Catholic Church has been under attack quite a bit and getting some very bad press. Much wrongdoing has come to light.
  Pope Francis stopped short of endorsing same-sex marriage instead calling for a civil union type situation. I'm with him on that one as I have said that myself. I've said that because it isn't a marriage unless it is between one man and one woman. That's it, period, end of discussion. Now if you want to form a union with another person of the same sex, a legal binding contract that gives you the same tax advantage and other legal rights as married people I don't have an issue with that. It's not a marriage, however. And the last I knew the Church says marriage is between a man and a woman. There are no exceptions, no exemptions, no conditional moral grounds for that. Engaging in sexual contact with those of the same sex is immoral, indecent and an abomination unto the Lord! That's the way I was taught. But now the Pope says the church can bless that? It does leave me a bit confused. Pope or Politician?
  The church is there for forgiveness. That is the message of Christ and of Jesus. That's my understanding of the whole deal. All fall short of the glory of God. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, I have vices, I commit sins daily. I can be forgiven however, if I ask for that forgiveness. The church isn't going to change the rules to suit me! If it was sinful and wrong yesterday, it is still sinful and wrong today. The blessing of sin? As I said, leaves me confused. Only a politician can endorse stuff like that. It's wrong but it's alright. We will just bless what is wrong. Isn't a blessing tacit approval for the action? 
  I'm well aware that the church, in fact all churches and religions, have a political component and always have. The protestant reformation is surely the best example of that. In its' simplest form the protestants were challenging the authority of the pope. Those protesting were saying only faith in God could grant you eternal salvation and not simply doing good works. In short, the Pope doesn't get to decide on your salvation, only faith in God can do that. The Pope, and the church in general lost a great of power when that happened. It was political power and influence being lost. It is also the reason the United States never established a state church! Marriage is a function of the church, civil unions a function of government. 
  It's all very confusing. If I'm a gay person I obviously believe that I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm holding parades and rallies celebrating all of that. I'm fighting for social justice! If I believe all that I must not believe what the Bible says. The Bible doesn't endorse any of that. Yes, you can argue semantics all day long, grab verses of the Bible out of context and indeed find some passages that could be construed as not condemning that. For me that doesn't change a thing. Even the Pope, although now endorsing same-sex unions with his blessing, continues to say that it is a sin. So, why is it important to these gay folks to receive the blessing from the very people telling them they are wrong? What's the point? If you are so strong in your belief, why do you require others to validate that. I know what I believe, and I don't need anyone to agree with me. If you don't, you're wrong. It's as simple as that. 
  My question to the Pope would be a simple one. To what purpose this blessing of sin? Why? To what end? If we are now going to say whatever you want to do is just fine, and we will bless that, why have a church in the first place? It all sounds like more of this liberal logic nonsense. Either engaging in sexual activities with those of the same sex is sinful or it isn't! And let's be clear, that is what the gay people want endorsed! It isn't about their "legal" rights when seeking the blessing of the church. It is about having the religious values changed to suit them. Forgiveness of sin is not the endorsement of sin! They really are polar opposites. In the Biblical account Jesus says, Go and sin no more. He doesn't excuse her sin but rather tells her to change her ways. He doesn't bless the sin, just the sinner. The action remains wrong. Is the Pope now saying, it's alright to sin as long as it is blessed? Conditional morality? Conditional sin? A conditional faith? All sounds political to me.         

No comments:

Post a Comment