Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas 2023

  It's Christmas morning and all is quiet. No children here, just the wife and the cat. I gave Morris, that's the cat, a meat snack for Christmas. He already ate that and is taking a nap. He's pretty tired after a long night of doing whatever cats do at night. A few things were knocked over and he was scratching at the bedroom door so I'm guessing he was excited. Maybe he saw Santa Claus! But the television is on, and we are waiting. A little later in the day the kids will come over to open their gifts. My grandson, newly married and his wife working as a nurse, will not be here today. It's the first Christmas day without him and it is a little strange and a little sad. A new era beginning. His wife, being the newest nurse, is of course working today. That's how it goes in the world, and someone does have to work. My granddaughter will be here though, along with my son and his wife. 
  No snow here in Greensboro and the temperatures are supposed to reach near sixty. Global warming, I suppose. Well maybe next year Santa will get an electric sled and things get a little cooler. I heard the SPCA was on his case about treating those reindeers badly, making them work all night! And we have all heard about the mistreatment of Rudolf. It'll be nice for the children that get new bicycles or skateboards for Christmas. Not so good if they got a sled! Well, we always managed to have a good time regardless of the weather, especially on Christmas day. Had plenty of new toys to distract us, wouldn't be bored again for at least a few days. Then it was back to, I don't have anything to do. 
  I'll be leaving my tree up and the decorations until the first of the year. The tree mostly for my grandson to see. Most years that tree comes down on New Years Day. If not for my grandson, it would be coming down tomorrow this year. I haven't really been in the Christmas spirit but have made an effort anyway. I have plans for the new year. The scope of those plans is dependent upon the lottery drawing this evening. When I win that Powerball jackpot of 431 million dollars, plans will be expanded! If not, back to plan A. I'm going to move the television and my desk. The television is of course mounted to the wall and my desk contains my computer. Given the extent of the wiring necessary for both objects it is a big chore to relocate them. Things aren't quite as wireless as you would think they should be at this point.
  I will not be awake for the arrival of 2024. I haven't stayed awake to see the new year in a very long time. I'm not much on going out to parties or hosting parties for that occasion. Barbecues are great, birthday parties are fine, maybe a picnic. New Years Eve not so much. When you are not much of a drinker, a bunch of drunks celebrating can be very annoying. Having been on both sides of that I speak from experience. Sober people are a real bummer. 
  Merry Christmas.  

                                                                   
                                                  His Job is done.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment