Monday, December 4, 2023

the function of opinion

  Pushing buttons and touching nerves. When we post our comments and observations, we just never know what the reaction will be. It often comes as a surprise to me when I push a button or touch a nerve. Well, a surprise when that wasn't my intent anyway. I confess to leaving remarks on the New York Times site and getting those folks all upset. I can't resist, it's just so easy. I'm from the state of New York but not the city of New York. I heard that California was the land of fruits and nuts but if what I read on the Times website is any indication, the big apple isn't far behind. Those folks writing in there sure have a strange way of looking at life. 
 The times I'm surprised I do feel a tinge of guilt, and it causes some self-reflection. In short, sometimes I feel bad. I'll usually offer a further explanation of what I meant but that leads to arguments. It's quite difficult to have a meaningful conversation on social media. Everyone feels bolder somehow. I suppose it is simply because they feel safe at their keyboard. They wouldn't make those comments to you in person. That's especially true after you have pushed a button or touched a nerve in some fashion. Maybe instead of a profile page we should just post a list of subjects best avoided, those beyond religion and politics. Let it be known that you will passionately defend whatever, like being pro-life, going green, alternative lifestyles, that sort of thing. Or maybe just list the things you don't support. Things like pro-life, going green, and alternative lifestyles. A sort of pro and con list. I've heard that is a technique to be employed when making an important decision.
  I'm as guilty of that as anyone on the web. Maybe I'm even a bit more at fault that most due to my direct manner. I do have a habit of just telling the truth about the way I feel. I'm not much for playing games. It isn't an attitude of I'm better than anyone else, it's just I want you to know what you're buying. Call it conceit if you like but I think the product being sold is pretty good. I'm definitely not a one size fits all type of product. No, not for everyone.  
 Truth be told I'm not trying to sell anything at all. I'm always a bit surprised at some of the chinks in the armor I discover in others. Chinks created by events in their lives that affected them deeply. No matter how tough our exoskeleton may be, it is vulnerable from the inside. Some say I lack empathy, but I don't believe that is the case. I can empathize but that doesn't mean I should agree with you. If I care anything about you, truly being empathetic, I feel like I should try to help you. That help should make you stronger, not dependent upon my help. Like a momma bird pushing her baby out of the nest, you have to do these things. I can understand why you want to do something, know how you feel, and still tell you not to do it! Things are pretty much black and white with me. I think that is the key to a good mental health, as we tend to call that these days. This is right, that is wrong. You have to decide otherwise you just spend your life in limbo. 
 As an interesting side note the Catholic church under Pope Benedict downgraded Limbo to a theory or hypothesis. That happened in 2007. Prior to that Limbo was a real state one could be in, especially unbaptized babies. A virtuous non-Christian could find themselves in limbo after death as well. Not anymore, it's one way or the other. Seems the catholic church has come around to my way of thinking. 
  I don't get a lot of feedback from these blog postings. I don't know how many buttons or nerves I've touched in them. I'm quite certain it has happened far more frequently than I am aware. I'm surprised that the majority of comments I do get are positive ones. That tells me one thing for certain; it isn't being read by the Times people. If they were there would be a crowd outside my window with torches blazes and pitchforks at the ready. If I lived in ancient times I would most likely be considered a cynic. I think of myself more as a realist. Cynics are all about judgement and realists are all about the truth. The only issue being, what is the truth? Well in my judgement, and there you go. I just pushed somebody's buttons or touched a nerve. That is the function of opinion. 
  The thing about buttons and nerves are that you should control what they do. When they get pushed unexpectedly that isn't always the case. That's the function of temperament. Our temperament is a variable thing. We usually just call that a mood. We spend a lot of time and energy attempting to influence our moods. The manipulation of dopamine! Some use drugs to accomplish that. Others engage in dubious activities. Like everything else in life, it requires the correct balance. When you get your button pushed or nerves prodded that is what is happening, your dopamine gets unbalanced! I find it interesting that chemical is named dopamine, like dope. I wonder how dopamine got its' name in the first place. Its function wasn't known until 1957, although it had been synthesized in 1910. 
  Now I'm wondering if social media is responsible for mass dopamine unbalance. In years past reading books would cause that reaction, same with radio programs and television. There were the things that pushed people's buttons. Well, beyond face-to-face interactions where their opinions irritated you. Yeah, some people just get on your nerves. Tic-Tok and Twitter, or is that X now, seem to do that as well. They are causing a dopamine imbalance in the general public. But it is preventable. Control your buttons and your nerves. Exercise sound judgement. All things in moderation. 
    • Luke 21:34 - And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.   It's good advice regardless of your religious beliefs or lack thereof. 

No comments:

Post a Comment