Saturday, May 20, 2023

events

  Family is down for tomorrow's big event. My grandson is tying the knot. That's right, a wedding! My how the time flies. I remember so well when he was just a little sprout and now, now he is getting married. So, things are a little bit hectic around here. It's far from the normal routine. And that is something that we seniors rarely enjoy, it's far easier to look like you have it all together when you have practiced the part. Living on the fly is more difficult. The who, what where and when needs to be settled. Then, trying to remember all of that that. But the festivities are underway, the plans in motion and it all seems like it is rushing at me. And I'm just the grandfather, the observer, the patriarch of the family. All I really have to do is show up. I've got a new suit, a fresh haircut and comfortable shoes. I'm set. 
 Life events. That is what I've become keenly aware of. I think that is the case with all of us as we age, er, mature. When we are young, we look forward to all those life events but never really understand the significance of them. We only see them through our own eyes. That is natural enough. You could say we are looking at the tress instead of the forest. Later we get lost in the forest and can't find the trees. But I have been marking life events with these blogs of mine. It isn't something I planned to do but it has worked out that way. That is especially true with the grandchildren. I have written about all of their life events so far. They weren't always aware that what they were experiencing was a life event. Milestones I called them. I remember when Mark, the grandson getting married took his first steps, said his first words, learned to ride a bicycle and any number of other events. He's attending law school now, looking forward to becoming an attorney. I have no doubt that he will achieve that goal. 
 What life events are left for me? I suppose you could say they are whatever I choose to make them. Winning the lottery is on the list. When that happens a lot of other changes will take place too. But the reality is I don't really have any goals, no life event I am working toward. Becoming a great grandparent is something to look forward to. Of course, all I have to do is wait. Today I'm grand but one day I'll be great! For today I'm focused on family and the event to come. Lots of excitement, lots of anticipation. Then the moment arrives and is gone in a flash. Time rushes ever forward. There are milestones and millstones. The secret to a happy life is marking the milestones and leaving the millstones behind. I've become somewhat of an observer of life, more so than an active participant. I prefer to think of myself as a sort of docent of life. That's what these blogs are sometimes about. I'm certainly doing so on a volunteer basis. Some would call it fodder. But even fodder is life sustaining to the animals it is being fed to. 
 I've lost focus on what I was writing about but that is part of the situation. It's like I said, a bit unsettling, a disruption to the routine. No matter, this too shall pass. On to conquer the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment