Saturday, September 24, 2022

How much

 How much does it cost to win an election? It's a question I ask all the time. You certainly hear about that often enough. Fundraisers and supporters. Both of those are integral to winning an election. Mostly however I believe elections are won on promises. Oh, you hear about the war chests and how much they contain. The opposition is always concerned with that. There has been talk about election reform, limiting the amount of funds, limiting what can be spent, who can give what to whom and when. That's because all of that determines how many people can hear the promises being made. People will vote for what they want, for what is promised. I'm always amazed at the politicians, however. Rarely do you hear them ask, what do you want. They are usually too busy telling you what they are going to do, and why that is a great thing for you! Barring that they are busy telling you that their opponent is out to prevent you from getting what you want. The promise is always the same. Vote for me and I will give you what you need! You may not know what you need but I do! That's why I'm not asking, I'm telling.
 In the political arena today, it is a battle of morality and ethics. It always has been on some level; it was what started the revolution after all. It was just wrong of the King to tax the people and restrict their ability to prosper. Why it was downright immoral! And so, for God and country we went to battle. Freedom being the battle cry we went forward and established our republic. A government of the people, by the people, for the people. That it was established on Christian values, Christian traditions and beliefs is indisputable. And what is being challenged today is the practice of those values, traditions and beliefs. That is what defines left and right.
 What are the major issues this election cycle? All are related to morality and ethics. The question is a simple one, can those be purchased with promises? The answer is upsetting because the answer is a profound, yes. What people will ultimately cast their ballot in favor of? What they want. And the simple truth is this, morality and ethics often stand in the way of what we want. The exercise of restraint, the adherence to the "rules" is always problematic. It's the reason for the Protestant reformation, the reason for litigation, appeals, exemptions and exceptions. Thou shalt not kill! Well except under certain conditions or circumstances that is. The irony of the whole deal is that morality and ethics will be used to justify the immoral and unethical! And that is the role of the politician. That is their promise.
 The money is used to get the message out there. That is what is said, and it works. I can recall when I was in high school the politicians would hand out all sorts of free stuff. Pot holders, calendars, buttons, stickers, pens, pencils, and all manner of things with the candidates' names emblazoned on them. We would go from the Democratic shop to the Republican shop and compare the goods. Must have been worth it to those candidates to spend that money in that way. I wonder how many votes were garnered as a result of that alone. Today I see a lot of signs in peoples' yards and along the highways. I haven't gone looking for headquarters though, I wonder do they still have all the handouts, the free stuff?  Advertising is an expensive thing and there are more platforms today than ever. 
 I've often thought that politicians should just ask the voters, what is it you want. But then I realize that they would be in a bit of a bind if they did. What do you say when two people in the crowd ask for the opposite thing? You are going to have to say no to someone. Yes, far easier to just tell you what I'm going to do and take my chances that you will agree. I don't want to tell you, no. I'll just make the same promise that your parents did; we'll see. But whatever decision I make it will be the best for you! Trust me. I'm just asking for your support. You can get whatever you want, you just have to pay the price for it. How much is that? At what price?               

No comments:

Post a Comment