Friday, September 9, 2022

A moment in history

 The Queen has passed. Charles ascends to the throne and becomes King. What does it all mean? Not much as far as I know. Yes, there is the sorrow with the loss of such a world figure. She was crowned Queen in June of 1953 and I was born in July of that year. I would hear about her and occasionally her husband. He couldn't be the King due to tradition. He wasn't in any line that could ascend to the throne, so he remained a Prince Consort. I wonder if that bothered him at all. Well, Charles becomes the king now with his sons next in line. It's all for show however, as they don't have much power in government, just a lot of influence. It's something difficult for myself, as an American to understand.
 It sure isn't like changing Presidents. I don't believe the British subjects feel any trepidation about Charles becoming king. I don't know for certain, but I don't think much changes at all. There will be the State funeral, I'm certain that will be quite the grand affair, as it should be. The coronation is bound to be quite the spectacle. I wonder how much the peasants will have to shell out to fund all of that? No matter, I'm certain many will do so happily. The "crown" is very important to the British, at least the British folks I have been in contact with. In my Navy days I did interact with them on several occasions. I can tell you this much, they are allowed to say whatever they want about the Royals, but you had better be respectful and say nothing! Them there is fightin' words! Literally, I have seen fights about that stuff when the boys were sharing a few pints!
 I remember when Kennedy was President and the press spoke of Camelot. Personally, I never thought there was anything royal about the Kennedy's. I had been told about how old Joe Kennedy got his money. I knew about all the scandals and shady dealings that were going on. But he was young with a pretty wife and cute children. He was a Democrat at a time when the Democrats weren't attempting to rewrite the constitution. President Kennedy was also a war hero; he had done his duty and earned the respect of the nation. Still, I thought referring to his administration and comparing that to Camelot was a bit of hyperbole. That was before I even knew what hyperbole was. Then he was killed and that cemented his legacy in the minds of the people. Some still saying the Kennedy's were the closest thing to royalty America ever had. 
 Occasionally I hear rumors of the Monarchy coming to an end. I know that the Royals started paying taxes like everyone else some years back. The rumbling I've heard is from the commoners that are funding a portion of the lavish lifestyle of the royals. Well, they are the Royals after all, what do you expect? The crown jewels are estimated to be worth four or five billion dollars. Who do they really belong to? And we aren't mentioning the value of the various castles, estates and business ventures the crown is associated with. If the monarchy was ended what happens with all of that? I don't all it's all pretty foreign to me. 
 There are twenty-five other nations ruled by a King or Queen. In five of those the Monarch has absolute power. In all the others they have partial or no actual power in government. The British crown is the most well known in the world and certainly the most influential. As an American I've always wondered how it is that a people will willingly follow a King or Queen. I don't see why I would. I guess it boils down to, all the Kings men. Obey the King or face his wrath! I suppose that is why so many Kings and Queens have met with an early demise. Interesting to note that the second longest reigning monarch in England was Queen Victoria. She ruled for sixty-three years. If history is a guide, it doesn't look good for Charles, William or Harry. 
 If you think about it, it is an amazing thing really. The Queen was a beloved figure and deserves all the accolades and respect. She did keep that famous "stiff upper lip" the British are noted for. She remained aloof, but not too aloof, while remaining regal. A queen for the people. All the pageantry that will follow her passing, all the tributes, and indeed her interment will cost millions. The coronation of Charles will follow all of that, at the cost of millions. And it is all for show. It is all like reliving a memory of a distant past. The Monarchy and all the splendor, pomp and circumstance. In a strange way it is reassuring though, a change that remains the same.           
   
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment