Friday, September 30, 2022

Empathy

 The last Sunday in September is designated as Gold Star Mother's Day. Are you familiar with that? The symbol of a gold star for every family member lost in combat began in 1917! You display a flag with the appropriate number of stars on it to represent that. It was first officially declared by congress in 1936. It isn't a national holiday. Then it was called God Star Mother's Day. In 2011 Obama amended that declaration to include families as well as Mother's. I'm guessing the intent there is to "allow" anyone to display that flag not just Moms. Today we are urged to display a luminary. Beginning in 1936 luminaries were lighted on the last Sunday in September to honor and remember those lost in combat.
 I had heard about this when I was growing up, I saw the flags in some windows. Those flags were mostly from those that served in WW2 and were old and faded, in the window of "old" people's houses. I asked my mom about them, and she explained all that. She told me how our family hadn't lost anyone in the war, how lucky we had been. All of her brothers had gone off to war, my dad served, lots of Uncles and family friends. Some family friends had been lost but no one in the family. I never gave it another thought. I don't recall it ever being mentioned again for many years. Then, some years back when America was experiencing a surge in Patriotism, before that became a terrible thing, our town hall was handing out luminaries, requesting we all display one to remember our servicepeople. It wasn't to say you had lost anyone just a sign of remembrance, like Memorial Day but with Veterans Day added in. A sort of appropriation.
 Gold Star Mother's Day isn't anything official, although declared by Congress. It is often overlooked. I admit to letting it slide by this year without notice. I did see something about that on my memories page and was reminded. I remembered then getting that luminary and having it lighted for a few hours. I was also reminded once again of the velvet painting imploring you to Remember Pearl Harbor, that my wife's Uncle George placed in his front window each December 7th. It was a sentiment he certainly never forgot as he had served in that war. 
 Gold Star Mother's Day was originally to serve as a comfort to those Mother's that had lost their children to battle. A day for others to acknowledge that loss. Today we are all inclusive, the entire family is remembered. But it is my feeling the intent was a singular one, an outpouring of respect for the Mother's. Not such a popular idea in this "me too" world of today. It is the mom that is handed that folded flag when the final strains of taps is played. That is the case for thousands of mothers as their sons, and now daughters are laid to rest. There is no love like the love of a mother, and there is no loss greater than the loss of a child. Motherhood and Apple Pie the core of American values and sentiment. That is Gold Star Mother's Day in my estimation. That is the intent. Mother's don't need a reminder, that isn't the purpose at all. It is the rest of us that need that reminder! A display of empathy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment