Monday, August 23, 2010

Remembering the ride

I was just reading an article,do we still call it that when you read it on the internet,about the best entertainment systems in automobiles. It brought to mind when we would take a ride in the car on Sunday afternoons just to take a ride. That was entertainment enough. Of course we weren't driving at 70 miles per hour so we could actualy see things,we would try to identify other cars by just the tailights or front grill ( yes it was quite possible to do so ). Sometimes we would turn the radio on and speakers in the back was a big deal.
Shortly after I got my first car I purchased the latest in stero equipment a 8 track player ! That,let me tell you was an entertainment system ! Of course later it was replaced by cassette and now cd players. I guess the ipod will replace that too.
It all makes me wonder if we aren't missing out on something here. We would drive and look at the sceneary,mom and dad might tell you stories about when that spot was a cow pasture or walking through those woods. we became familar with our surroundings and knew how to get about using many different roads. Now just click on the GPS and follow HER instructions. She doesn't always know what she is talking about either.
I suppose everything is faster,safer and more entertaining now but I long for the good old days.

Top down,no seatbelts or boaster seat,just driving down the highway checking everything out.
Yes I remember the ride for what it was a journey and to be enjoyed. If i wanted to watch movies I'll stay at home,don't much care for these multiplex boxes for movie theaters but will talk about that another time.

Next time you take a drive slow down go the back road and look around you might be surprised what you can see in your own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment