Sunday, August 29, 2010

Can't argue with a memory

You just can't argue with a memory. Is that a song title or a line from a song ? Could be and no copywright infringement intended. Ok,got the legal stuff out of the way.
Isn't it strange how we remember things? Two people in the same spot,same time and two different memories. This is especialy true with your siblings. A couple years different and you have two perspectives. That ain't the way I remember it happening. But you can't argue with a memory.
I enjoy talking about the past because of this very reason. They can tell you ,you are wrong but can't argue with a memory even when it is different. You will never change that memory. Might get a different take on it though. Like I remember talking with a young lady in school. She was listening to me and being friendly enough so I figured I was doing great. Must be I was the stud.
At least that how I remember it ! Now this young lady just might have a different memory altogether. Could be she was my cousin and just being polite. So her memory is different.
Children often remember things differently than thier parents. I always had to take out the trash and make my bed. Mom says that ain't so but ain't the way I remember it. Dad always said, this is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you,just before spanking me. Ain't the way I remember it though !
I love history. Love reading about how things were or weren't. Have to keep in mind that history is a memory and there are different points of view so be sure to read several accounts.
All great conquests are written by the victors not the defeated. Oppression is written about by the oppressed.
My sister will say I was spoiled.Got everything I wanted. Not so,ain't the way I remember it. I got hand me down clothes and used toys that my siblings no longer wanted.I didn't get a lot of things because I got told," let your brother/sister do that and we all know how that turned out ""I don't care what you want,i didn't let your brother/sister do that and you're not either"
So you see its' all in how you remember it. I choose to keep the good memories and discard the bad.
Take care and make some memories or better yet talk to old friends or your siblings and you just might get a different view of things. Can't argue with a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment