Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm just sayin'

Well its' back to school time. When I was a kid that usualy involved going to Brills' store (clothing) going to the 5&10 (supplies ) and atrip to the barber shop. You got your school clothes which you had to change out of when you got home,at least until about october,no back packs then but you got those rubber straps that you wrapped around your books ( do they still make those or are they now a dangerous weapon ) The haircut deal was mandatory. First impression mean a lot. The problem there was I had two older brothers and an older sister that had already " impressed " the teachers. " If you are anything like your brothers, yap yap yap. "
The first thing we did was to make book covers for all our books. You could buy them,the school always had some freebies or you could make your own. The brown paper grocery sacks were the best. Durable and you got to decorate it. Not environmentaly friendly though,cut down more trees I need more book covers ! The teaching methods were a little different then as well as the marking system.
The system then was, the teacher spoke,you listened,did your assignment ! Failure to do any of the above meant trouble. Trouble for you not the teacher ! Not listening could result in a number of things happening to you. Public humilation,a swift rap upside your head,chalk thrown at you,standing in the hall,and a host of other punishments.
The grading system was either you passed or you failed.
Unlike todays system were I'm never quite sure just what the report card is trying to say. Consitantly demonstrates skill,sometimes demonstrates skill,progressing toward skill,might do skill, don't worry about it we will pass them to the next grade irregardless if they do skill or not. We mustn't damage there self esteem. When I was in school they didn't teach self esteem until high school .
Now I'd like to tell you I walked to school three miles both ways uphill but that just wasn't true. I rode a bus. They haven't changed much still no seatbelts,at least not here,wonder why that is. No boaster seats either. Umm.
Still its' a wonderful time of year. Parents get a break from entertaining kids all day,every day and the kids have something to do. School got out in June and by July they have nothing to do,I don't have anything to play with. Read a book are you crazy been doing that for the last 8 months !
I look forward to the school projects and activities.

Back To School ! An exciting time for all. The system is different now but the results are the same. I'm just sayin'

1 comment:

  1. Well I think the bookcovers made from grocery bags were very environmentally friendly-recycling at its best! But I really loved those yellow and green ones we got free at school - nice and crisp!

    And they've had seatbelts on all school buses in NYS for a few years now - quite a few actually. I haven't been on any field trips with kids in a very long time so I don't know how vigilant they are about making the kids use them, but they are there!

    ReplyDelete