Sunday, September 24, 2023

trending

  You can't get people to see what can't be seen. That's what I think whenever I see these ladies that are a size 22 wearing a bikini to show how beautiful they are. Hey, I get it but that's like me doing a painting and insisting it is a masterpiece. It isn't what others are going to see. I make no apologies for that but I'm aware of the truth. Regardless of our inner feelings there are standards for such things, although I think standard is the wrong choice of word, to describe that. Perhaps accepted and expected are better choices. Both of those will change over time and within society. We often call that fad or fashion. Beauty is certainly viewed differently according to culture. 
  There is no way to explain it really. I mean how did Twiggy become such a sensation? Now you have to be a certain age to remember her, but she is responsible for the current standard as far as body sizes for women. Before Twiggy the ideal woman was certainly more curvaceous and less fragile than what is generally accepted today. I'm not sure what the deal with the Kardashians are and the big booty craze. I'm thinking that might be desirous with a certain crowd but will never be the mainstream thing. It is interesting to note that the government established the sizes we are familiar with today. They were established for manufacturers of clothing. Prior to the 1930's there were none. Most clothing was made at home and so it was just made to fit. Later on, shirts were made with one length for the sleeve and pants were not hemmed. That is why you saw men wearing sleeve garters. That was how you adjusted the length of the sleeve. 
  It's a funny thing though, this sense of beauty. Beauty, it is said, is in the eye of the beholder. I don't believe that is the truth of the matter however, acceptance is in the eye of the beholder would be a more accurate way of expressing that sentiment. Body size has certainly changed for women over the centuries. Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12 dress, larger by today's standards. But according to Google size inflation has taken place and that dress today would be a size 6. I wouldn't know anything about any of that, but I do know this. For most of my adult life I wore a medium size shirt, then it went to large. Today I noticed a x-large fits much better. And it isn't because of my waistline! My height and weight haven't changed in the last ten years, but the size of my shirts have! Coincidence that x-large is usually a bit more expensive? As far as being attractive that hasn't changed much for men. Tall, dark and handsome still rules the day. A natural and normal body shape is just fine. Other than that, you are either buff or overweight. Or what's worse, scrawny. Sometimes called wiry. Not much you can do about that though, doesn't do a bit of good to wear a muscle shirt and insist that you're buff. No one is going to see it that way. 
  You know those saying I don't care are really saying they do care, they care a great deal. That's the reason they say that. I'm like everyone else. I've said it myself when I'm mad that others don't see what I see. Hey Barney said sharing is caring and I'm sharing! It hurts when it isn't accepted. It just seems unfair at times doesn't it. Vanity is what we are talking about. Vanity can mean several things. I read where it came from the word vanitas, Latin for empty. You are left feeling a bit empty when others do not recognize you. Marginalized is a popular term used today, also prejudiced. The whole issue being others aren't looking through your eyes. So, like I said in my opening statement, you can't get people to see what can't be seen. 
  It is something I have wondered about. How do these standards change? Why was Twiggy such a sensation? What's the attraction? That is the heart of the matter when it comes to all of this, what is the attraction? Who is setting the trend today. I'm not aware of that as I have little interest in any of it. I'm guessing having a huge butt is the thing today, I don't know. Tattoos are certainly a fashionable choice  for the ladies as well as the men. Yoga pants, leggings and what appear to be PJ's are quite the popular choices for ladies of all ages. Still, a slender build is desirable. 
  It isn't just in fashion or dress sizes. How did abstract art become a thing? It goes by many names these days but I'm talking about those "paintings" that have no shape to them, just splatters of paint, a few lines maybe and a title. There are those that will pay millions of dollars for them insisting they are masterpieces but that isn't what I see. My genuine feeling is that I could do the same thing. I also know that no one would recognize that as "art" and make a big deal about it. The question I have is, why not? When I look at it, it looks just like a Pollack. I can spill and throw paint around. For me it remains a mystery. If I did one of those paintings, I would be aware of one thing, you aren't going to see what I see. I'm not going to enter them into any gallery setting to be judged by those that feel those things are wonderful pieces of art. All that will get me is rejection. I get it, I understand that. I'm just wondering about those folks that do. What makes them think that way? Just how do these standards get set? How did so many get convinced that they are works of art? I don't know, Twiggy wasn't very attractive in my book. Just how do you convince others to see what you see? Just how do you get others to "buy" it? 
  I attended a course in sales that explained the steps to follow. It begins with a conversation. Then you have to create curiosity in the person. Once you have established that you need to create the desire in them to have whatever it is you're selling. It doesn't really matter what you are trying to sell as long as you convince them they need it! This product, style, trend or whatever will do this for you. It will make you popular, rich, famous, handsome, beautiful, smart or whatever. You will be cool! Once you create the desire, they will buy it. Selling a bikini to a size 22 woman takes quite the salesman. It can be done though; the proof is out there. Caveat Emptor. Just don't be mad at the salesman.  

No comments:

Post a Comment