Monday, September 11, 2023

Frustration

  Twenty two years ago today the attack on America took place. The twin towers of the world trade center fell, the pentagon was damaged, and a plane load of patriots went down in Pennsylvania. Memorials have been erected, documentaries made, and the entire day analyzed from beginning to end. I heard one newscast proclaiming America has won the war on terror. It was their opinion that we could declare victory and that Al-Queda has been defeated. I feel like that is nothing more than rhetoric. There is no defeating an ideology. You can't defeat a religion either. But that speech is designed to give you a sense of security or a sense of having achieved a measure of revenge, depending upon your bent. Those attacks weren't an attempt to defeat America, they were simply an act of hate. Carried out by religious zealots to injure the infidels! Another example in history of the power of religious zeal. It must be understood that all things can serve a negative as well as positive influence. 
  I can recall exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news came to me. My wife called me on the cell phone and it was close to lunch time. The actual attack was just before nine that morning but I wasn't aware until the phone call. I rushed home to see the news and like everyone else in America I was in shock! My initial reaction was anger. I'm thinking for my generation that was our Pearl Harbor. Now I had been around for Vietnam and served in the gulf war myself. I was aware of the tragic loss of life around the world from these terrorist groups. My general understanding was that the Muslims wanted to either kill or subjugate Christians and Jews! They were following the Koran, their Holy Book, literally. It was their Bible and that is what it says to do. After the attack I began to read a bit more about that religion and exactly what they believed. I discovered for myself that there were passages of instruction about all of that. I listened closely to those opposed and those in support. Despite my initial anger I was left looking for the enemy. I am still looking for the enemy.
  It bothers me when I hear statements like we have won the war on terror. Nothing much has changed at all, not since biblical times in fact. The quest for wealth and power is never defeated. Make no mistake about that. It is the desire for power and control that drives these narratives of hate. There will always be those willing to do whatever it takes to obtain their goals. To get others to join in, a reward of some type has to be offered. For Muslims a promise is a very sacred thing, the very heart of the religion. They will be asked about every promise they ever made and be called to account for them. The most important promise of all is to follow the Koran. The promise of eternal life is a very strong motivator! It is used in almost every religion known to man. Even the Christian God, the God of peace, will fight alongside you in battle as you defeat evil!
  There is nothing more I could say about September 11th that hasn't been said a thousand times over. I don't profess to have any special insights. Their goal was accomplished on that day. There wasn't any further plan to continue the attack. It was just a straight up attack based in hate. The desire to have someone, something, anything, in which to place the blame is strong. But I am left with frustration. I believe that the vast majority of Americans feel that same frustration. Beyond all the rhetoric, all the theories and conspiracies, it is my belief that is all that was. It is very difficult to defeat an ideology. It is impossible to defeat religious belief. That is why we have martyrs!  Whether the cause was good, or evil isn't the point in that, being a martyr is! There were nineteen terrorists on that day. In their eyes, their belief, and in the eyes of those supporting them, they were martyrs. To me, terrorists. 
  For me there will never be any measure of satisfaction, no retribution, no justice and indeed no revenge! That is the frustration I feel when thinking about all of that. I know logically I can't blame every Muslim in the world, but I can hold distrust about them. I can't blame every Jew for the crucifixion of Christ either, but I won't forget that either. That Christians waged Holy Wars isn't lost on me either. That is all involved in the frustration. The enemy here are like shadows. They cause fear and sometimes they cause you to strike out at things you can't see. Even when you strike no harm is done to the shadow. Still, you watch them, you may fear them, but you learn to live with that. The only way to defeat a shadow is by shining a light upon it. Then it becomes another matter altogether. Can you trust what you see? 

No comments:

Post a Comment