Friday, September 22, 2023

Casual governance

  Heard on the news that the dress code has been relaxed in the congress. Apparently, that was done to satisfy some senator named Fetterman. I admit I don't know much about him. A democrat from Pennsylvania that likes to dress casually is about it. I don't want to form an opinion about him based solely on that bit of information. He's a democrat and that alone tells me something, not all democrats are bad people. The majority of them are just misguided in my opinion. But the interest in that story is the changing of the dress code. Whether it was done simply to satisfy this one person or not what remains is that it was changed. I see it as the dressing down of America.
  Remember when you were a child, and your mom would dress you? She did so for whatever occasion or activity you were going to be involved in. It was a mixture of practicality and decorum. Deportment is what we called that. Knowing how to properly dress for the occasion or event was important. It wasn't about how comfortable you felt, it was about the image you were projecting. Clothes make the man! That story stated the obvious, you are judged by your appearance. It doesn't matter how much you scream and holler about that being unfair, silly, ridiculous or provincial, the fact remains, you will be judged in that way. Yes, yes I know, it's true you can put lipstick on a pig but that won't change the pig. Thing is, if nothing else, it will attract attention. Wearing shorts or sweat pants in the Senate chambers will do the same thing. Perhaps he feels "empowered" by doing that. It is all about feelings these days isn't it.
  What this does is speak to discipline. Personal discipline.  ( “Why is discipline important? Discipline teaches us to operate by principle rather than desire. Saying no to our impulses (even the ones that are not inherently sinful) puts us in control of our appetites rather than vice versa. It deposes our lust and permits truth, virtue, and integrity to rule our minds instead. " ) John McArthur, Jr wrote that, and I couldn't say it any better than that . By changing the dress code, lowering the standard, it degrades the office. Governance is a serious occupation. It isn't a football game or a tennis match. One should be dressed appropriately. The truth is there shouldn't be a need for a dress code at all! Those in that position shouldn't need to be told how to dress, they should have enough common sense and sense of dignity to do that without rules.
Now I'm aware that what you wear has little to do with your abilities. Fashion is a matter of choice. But what I'm talking about is showing respect to others. That's why we dress appropriately. I have written several times about all of this as it occurred in everyday life. The wearing of casual clothing at funerals and other situations like that. Go to Walmart on any given day if you have any doubts about any of that. Yes, perhaps wearing your Sunday best to go grocery shopping was a bit much but it was a sign of respect for others. That was true in the manner of dress and of speech. With the lowering of the standard, both have been lowered is my feeling. That is what John McArthur, jr. was talking about with discipline. It is about doing what is right, what is appropriate to the occasion regardless of your personal feeling.
This man Fetterman is a Senator of the United States. He was elected to that office to represent the people of his state. Is that a reflection of the way the entire state of Pennsylvania feels? Does that represent you? And how does that look to you? I just wonder what is the point? Why is the Senate changing its' rules to suit Fetterman. Is it because he said he doesn't want to wear a suit and tie? What is the reasoning behind this decision? Is being a Senator just a casual thing? I mean, just something he does when he feels like it? I don't feel like getting dressed today. Sounds to me like he has no self-discipline, no self-respect. He is just acting like a spoiled little brat. But I don't want to. And the leadership, Chuck Schumer to be exact, acquiescence to this shows me he is no leader at all.
That's the way I feel about that. I don't care what your political affiliation happens to be. I don't care how you personally feel about a dress code. I do care about your personal integrity. If you can't even put forth enough effort to comply with some basic rules of decorum, of professional behavior, your integrity will be called into question. If you can't exercise enough personal discipline to get dressed in the morning, how am I supposed to trust you with legislating critical policies? There are only two senators that represent each state. In Pa, one of them doesn't want to even get dressed for the job. Yeah, that's the guy that is going to fight for me right. Hey, he is only taking a casual interest in doing that, that's my view anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment