Monday, September 24, 2018

who's the victim

 I asked yesterday if an accusation by a woman of sexual assault is the nuclear option. I asked for an accusation of equal power that a man could make. I got a few responses but no answers. I really didn't expect any answers as the question is really sarcastic. I am aware that sarcasm seldom works on social media but put it out there anyway. I was prepared for backlash and surprisingly didn't receive any. This question was posed in response to the news reporting concerning Kavanaugh and this Dr. Ford. The majority of the news reporters and analysts all say, she must be believed! Despite a lack of any credible evidence, despite the fact the Judge has undergone six background checks by the FBI, she must be believed. After all, she says it happened. More troubling is the reality that no matter what happens, his reputation will forever be tarnished. Additionally there is no equitable remedy for the accused. Perhaps the Judge could sue later on for defamation but can a monetary reward replace a reputation? And for that reason I ask if these accusations are the nuclear option for a woman? Can a man allege the same and be taken seriously? No, the answer is no. The response would be, " he got lucky! " Is there an entire movement behind men saying " me too " and I must be believed?
 These accusations are the perfect set up aren't they? I mean, any accusation is met with instant sympathy! Oh you poor woman, it must have been horrible! The longer you wait to " report " it, the more of a victim you become. The fewer witnesses you have, the stronger your accusation becomes. That accusation reaches full strength when there is no evidence at all! Then, your word must be taken and the accused is guilty! It is a nuclear option, no survivors!
 Now I admit I hadn't really heard of Brett Kavanaugh or Dr. Ford before all this began. For that reason I believe I am quite impartial in my judgement. I can say, based on whatever testimony and evidence presented I do not find her credible. She has changed her story a few times already. He has had numerous people , including at least 75 women, come forward in support of him. I can't believe half of what is reported on social media and so discount any of that. I just feel like if there where anything to these charges they would have manifested themselves long ago. Her own witnesses are saying it never happened. Yes, this very morning I heard another woman has come forward saying " me too " this time alleging he exposed himself to her, supposedly during a college drinking game. Yeah, okay, and I played spin the bottle, was that an assault? We'll have to wait for further testimony on all of that. But, as I said, it is a nuclear option because you are not supposed to even question it. By questioning that testimony you will be accused of a string of things, misogynist the least among them. So what is the answer? There is none.
 I am setting aside any political feelings and leanings I have. I have just been listening to what is being reported. I have heard nothing credible to substantiate her claim. If it is to be believed I have to weigh what I know to be plausible. A fifteen year old girl is at a party with older boys, without adult supervision, and there is drinking going on. I find it improbable that she was not drinking and was presenting a pure and chaste demeanor. Now, I'm not saying she was asking for it, that's not what I'm saying at all, I'm just presenting a scenario I feel credible. Could be something happened that scared her. She doesn't tell anyone, most especially her parents, because? She is 15 at an unsupervised party with older boys. Eventually her parents move to California, she attends college, and gets her degree in physcology. She studies the effects of trauma upon people. Over thirty years goes by, she develops her political affiliations and leanings as we all do. She becomes aware of the " me too " movement, empowering women to testify to every trauma that has ever occurred to them. Opportunity presents itself. A man she once knew, although quite casually, may have been, could have been, possibly at a party where she was. A chance to step into the limelight! A chance to advance my career, my notoriety as a physcologist and validate my research! ME TOO! And it will be a national stage, guaranteed. It's the nuclear option because I can't lose. Even when the dust settles and Kavanaugh gets the nomination I can write a book, make a tv movie and go on the talk show circuit. Yup, I'm dropping that bomb! And to top it all off, I will forever hear, oh you poor woman, it must have been terrible. You are a victim. No one is allowed to suggest anything different either!             

No comments:

Post a Comment