Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Nominating

 I can't help but chuckle. I saw where Trump nominated a man for the CDC. I've never heard of this guy and know nothing about him. There was a meme on Facebook claiming he said, aids was a punishment from God for homosexuality. As to the validity of that claim I don't know. It is possible he said that. But that isn't what I was laughing about. I get laughing when all these folks get all up in arms and concerned about who is being appointed to these positions. I mean, be honest here, who is the current director of the CDC? Who was previous to him/her? Do you know? I'm betting you do not, neither do I. I would have to Google that information. I was chuckling remembering when Betsy Devos was nominated as the Secretary of Education and a lot of folks going crazy. Well, she was nominated by Trump , so. If Donald Trump nominated the Pope for leader of the Catholic church there would be an uproar! The truth is the majority of us common folks don't really know what secretary is what. Quick, who is the secretary of the Interior? How many in total are there? And why are they kept in a cabinet? I find it all very amusing at times. So many feigning such knowledge of government and the importance of each nomination. C'mon people just who are you foolin'? I'll be the first in line to admit I don't know all this stuff. Without reading resumes and biographies on these nominees I have little to no clue about them. Truth is, I really am not that concerned with them. One thing I'm not going to do is judge them based on a Facebook meme. And I don't care if the Russians did pay for that meme!
 Now the previous director of the CDC was Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald. She resigned when it was discovered that she had invested between 1 and 15 thousand dollars in a Japanese tobacco company. This company does hold interests in the United States. It was determined she couldn't divest herself of such interests in time and it was a conflict of interest. I can understand the thinking but hardly believe she would have prevented any advances in the treatment or cure for anything tobacco related. In fact, it is a safe business bet that people will continue to use tobacco products. When investing your money it is best to invest in a sure thing! That doesn't necessarily mean you personally support that thing. I don't use illegal drugs would invest in a drug treatment center if I had the money to do so. There are going to people using that stuff! Anyway, she resigned and President Trump has nominated this guy. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/21/health/cdc-robert-redfield-aids...
Mar 21, 2018 · Dr. Redfield, a Baltimore AIDS researcher and advocate for medication-assisted therapies to treat addiction, will take over the public health agency.
This from the NYT. Whereas I don't really care for the Times it is a bit more reliable than a Facebook meme. You can read what they had to say. I'll just leave that here.
I do think we all need to lighten up just a bit and admit to the truth. We aren't all that informed. I know I spend a good deal of time looking stuff up, particularity things that don't concern my daily life in a direct fashion. I mean, I don't know who the Sec of Agriculture is because, I'm not a farmer. If you want my opinion on who should be the Director of the Center for Disease Control should be, I would be at a complete loss to answer that question intelligently. I'm certain Trump is the same way and someone or a bunch of someones provide him with suggestions. Do you really believe that Trump, or any other Chief Executive for that matter, personally chooses all the nominees? Or could it be he chooses from a prepared list of candidates? 

No comments:

Post a Comment